Thursday, August 30, 2007

Lonesome Dove


Not a movie, actually. A TV Series from the classic novel, "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurty. But most deserving of a movie status than most movies in that genre.
Classic Western. Cinema History. Movie Legend.
I had never heard of "Tommy Lee Jones" untill I had seen this movie, in Micanopy, near Gainesville, Florida, in 1993 in the home of my Professor, Dr. Charles Woods. He and Missy, introduced me to the magic of Lonesome Dove. I saw it twice, the second time with Patty, who had not seen it earlier, I think.
Tommy Lee Jones, was again introduced to me as the "Amitabh Bachchan of the US" by Francine Berkowitz at the Smithsonian.
Tommy Lee Jones, Robert Duvall (who played Hagen in Godfather) and Angelica Huston, make for a hauntingly memorable movie that spans the westerns and the land. The cattle, the rivers, the land, the canyons, the horses and the rattlesnakes and the rain. Awesome.
The chuckwagon and the cook. The small town. The two pigs. The sign board. All of them contribute to the movie.

No comments: