Thursday, August 30, 2007

Kagemusha


Most film addicts in India would never have even heard of Akiro Kurosawa. I was one of them untill I saw Kagemusha. And, after that I was totally a fan of Kurosawa. I was always jealous of friends from Japan, because they were closer to Kurosawa's movies in the Japanese language than others around the world.

When I was in Okayama, in December 2006, I kept asking for VCDs and DVDs of Kagemusha and other Kurosawa movies, but was very disappointed that most friends in Japan actually laughed at my fascination.

Kurosawa, David Lean, Satyajit Ray - in one breath. And the people from that land could not guide me to a decent DVD store for Kagemusha.

The movie itself - breathless. Is what it makes you, breathless. The classic story has been the inspiration, perhaps for Don and several other such movies. And perhaps if it is not based on a true story, can also be related to Alexandre Dumas' "The Man in the Iron Mask". Or is it vice-versa?

I hope someone makes it in good colour renditions, and dubs it in English so that the entire world can enjoy it.

No comments: